(Press Release, December 31, 2019)
ADVANCING AMERICA’S INTERESTS ABROAD: President Trump is putting America first and advancing our interests across the world.
President Trump’s maximum pressure campaign is countering Iran’s influence and pressuring the corrupt regime to abandon its malign activities.
- The President removed the United States from the horrible, one-sided Iran nuclear deal and re-imposed all sanctions that were lifted by the deal.
- In response to Iran’s aggression and gross human rights violations, the President authorized crippling sanctions on the regime’s leadership, including the Supreme Leader.
- President Trump is working to vigorously enforce all sanctions to bring Iran’s oil exports to zero and deny the regime its principal source of revenue.
President Trump has held two historic summits with North Korea and earlier this year became the first President to cross the DMZ into North Korea.
- The Administration has maintained tough sanctions on North Korea while negotiations have taken place.
Since taking office, President Trump has taken historic steps to support and defend our cherished ally Israel.
- This year, President Trump acknowledged Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights and declared Israeli settlements in the West Bank are not inconsistent with international law.
- The President made good on his promise to recognize Jerusalem as the true capital of Israel and move the United States Embassy there.
- The President removed the United States from the United Nations (U.N.) Human Rights Council due to the group’s blatant anti-Israel bias.
President Trump has successfully urged North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) members to increase their defense spending and to focus on modern priorities.
- NATO Allies will increase defense spending by $130 billion by the end of next year.
The Administration has worked to reform and streamline the U.N., cutting spending and making the organization more efficient.
Earlier this year, the President took action to protect our Second Amendment rights by announcing the United States will not join the misguided Arms Trade Treaty.
President Trump has promoted democracy throughout the Western Hemisphere and imposed heavy sanctions on the regimes in Venezuela, Cuba, and Nicaragua.
The President reversed the previous Administration’s disastrous Cuba policy.
- President Trump has enacted a new policy aimed at stopping any revenues from reaching the Cuban military or intelligence services, imposed stricter travel restrictions, and reaffirmed the focus ensuring the Cuban regime does not profit from U.S. dollars.
- Earlier this year, the Trump Administration put a cap on remittances to Cuba.
- President Trump is enabling Americans to file lawsuits against persons and entities that traffic in property confiscated by the Cuban regime, the first time that these kind of claims have been available for Americans under the Helms-Burton Act.
President Trump has stood with the democratically elected National Assembly and the Venezuelan people and worked to cut off the financial resources of the Maduro regime.
- President Trump recognized Juan Guaido as the Interim President of Venezuela and rallied an international coalition of 58 countries to support him.
- Earlier this year, President Trump blocked all property of the Venezuelan Government in the jurisdiction of the United States.
- President Trump has sanctioned key sectors of the Venezuelan economy exploited by the regime, including the oil and gold sectors.
- The Administration sanctioned Maduro’s key financial lifelines, including the Venezuelan Central Bank, the Venezuelan Development Bank, and Petroleos de Venezuela.
The Trump Administration has secured the release of Americans unjustly imprisoned abroad, including Kevin King, Xiyue Wang, Danny Burch, and more.
The President and his Administration have worked to advance a free and open Indo-Pacific region, promoting new investments and expanding American partnerships.
The President negotiated the return from Finland of approximately 600 tribal ancestral remains and other sacred objects for the American Indian and Pueblo communities from which they came.
The Trump Administration released an economic plan to empower the Palestinian people and enhance Palestinian governance through private investment.
The President created the first-ever whole-of-government approach to women’s economic empowerment through his Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative.
In June of 2019, the President released the U.S. Strategy on Women, Peace, and Security, which focuses on increasing women’s participation to prevent and resolve conflicts.