(White House Press Release, December 31, 2019)
PUTTING PATIENTS FIRST: President Trump is working hard to give Americans better quality care at a lower cost.
The Administration is delivering quality healthcare and promoting innovative treatment options for American patients.
- Earlier this year, President Trump signed an order to protect and improve Medicare for our seniors, encouraging even more competition and promoting innovative benefits.
- President Trump signed and implemented the Right to Try Act, which has expanded treatment options for terminally ill patients.
- The President has taken action to combat childhood cancer, initiating an effort to provide $500 million over the next decade to improve pediatric cancer research.
- The President signed legislation providing an additional $1 billion in Alzheimer’s disease research funding.
- The Administration launched a plan to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic in America in the next decade.
- President Trump took action to increase the availability of organs for patients in need of transplants and provide more treatment options and improve care for patients suffering from kidney disease.
- The President signed an order to modernize the influenza vaccine.
The Administration is making healthcare more affordable and transparent.
- The Administration is requiring hospitals to make their prices negotiated with insurers publicly and easily available online.
- The President is working to expand Association Health Plans, which would make it easier for employers to join together and offer more affordable health coverage to their employees.
- President Trump extended access to short-term, limited-duration health plans, giving Americans more flexibility to choose plans that suit their needs.
- The Administration expanded the use of Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs). Now, HRAs allow employers to help their employees pay for the cost of insurance that they select in the individual market.
- The Administration has successfully worked to reduce Medicare Advantage and Part D premiums to their lowest in years.
- The Administration has improved access to health savings accounts for individuals with chronic conditions.
- The President has worked to reduce the burden felt by Americans due to Obamacare and eliminated Obamacare’s individual mandate penalty.
- President Trump released legislative principles to end surprise medical billing and is working with Congress to give patients the control they deserve.
President Trump is following through on his pledge to combat high drug prices.
- President Trump released a blueprint to reduce drug prices and expand affordability for American patients.
- The Administration’s efforts to lower drug prices led to the largest year-over-year decrease in drug prices ever recorded.
- The President has advanced efforts to import prescription drugs from Canada in partnership with several states, including Florida and Colorado.
- The President launched an initiative to stop global freeloading in the drug market, proposing a new way for Medicare to pay for certain drugs based on prices other developed nations pay.
- The President signed legislation to end pharmacy gag clauses, which prevented pharmacists from letting patients know when it would be cheaper to buy drugs without their insurance.