(White House Press Release, October 23, 2020)
“They are choosing a future in which Arabs and Israelis, Muslims, Jews, and Christians can live together, pray together, and dream together, side by side, in harmony, community, and peace.” – President Donald J. Trump
STRIKING ANOTHER HISTORIC AGREEMENT: President Donald J. Trump has brokered a peace agreement between Sudan and Israel – the third such agreement between Israel and an Arab-Muslim nation in less than three months.
- Today, Israel and Sudan have agreed to make peace and to normalize their relations in another landmark agreement brokered by President Trump.
- In the coming weeks, the two countries will begin negotiations on cooperation agreements in agriculture, economy, trade, aviation, migration issues, and other areas of mutual benefit.
- This historic peace agreement follows similar agreements between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- The United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Sudan are the first Arab nations to normalize relations with Israel in over 25 years.
- The expansion of the Abraham Accords to include Sudan is a significant step that will further enhance Israel’s security and create opportunities for Sudan and Israel to deepen their economic ties and improve the lives of their people.
- After decades living under a brutal Islamist dictatorship that supported terrorism, the people of Sudan are in charge and democracy is taking root.
- The Sudanese transitional government has demonstrated tremendous courage and commitment to combating terrorism, building its democratic institutions, and improving its relations with its neighbors.
- The United States welcomes this important progress and stands ready to support the people of Sudan as they work to build a better future for themselves and future generations.
- Since taking office, President Trump has worked to rebuild trust with our regional partners and identify their shared interests, moving them away from the conflicts of the past.
- Thanks to President Trump’s leadership, the Middle East and Africa are experiencing the most rapid geopolitical transformation in over a generation.
- As more countries normalize relations with Israel, the region will become more stable, secure, and prosperous.
- The United States will continue to stand with the people of the region as they work to build a brighter, more hopeful future.