(White House Press Release, October 27, 2020)
“We will vanquish the virus, we will overcome this pandemic, and we will emerge better, stronger, and more unified than ever before.” – President Donald J. Trump
SAVING LIVES AND OUTPERFORMING OTHER NATIONS: The United States has had a lower mortality rate than Europe during the pandemic and one of the lowest fatality rates.
- President Trump’s decisive action has helped save American lives.
- The United States has a lower excess mortality rate than Europe, including many European countries, such as: the United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy, Spain, and others.
- The United States has among the lowest case fatality rates of any major country.
- According to the best estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 99.997 percent of individuals aged 19 and younger who contract coronavirus make a full recovery, 99.98 percent of those aged 20 to 49 make a full recovery, and 99.5 percent aged 50 to 69 fully recover.
- President Trump has deployed point of care testing equipment, millions of rapid tests, and critical PPE to nursing homes to help protect our seniors.
- The Administration also put in place safety measures like visitation restrictions, mandated staff testing, and required reporting of cases at certain senior facilities.
- The Trump Administration mobilized extra beds and personnel to help prevent hospital overcrowding and has deployed medical supplies to aid healthcare workers on the frontlines.
- Children and young adults are at extremely low-risk of serious illness from coronavirus.
- Only 0.2 percent of all coronavirus deaths are in those under 25 years old.
- Of nearly 20,000 total deaths this year in children under 15 years old from any cause, only 0.4 percent involved coronavirus.
- Of 43,680 total deaths this year in those under 25 years old, only 1 percent involved coronavirus.
- On the other hand, lockdowns fail to eliminate the virus and are causing irreparable harm to families and children, especially the working class and people with limited resources.
- Lockdowns have seen cancer cases and other serious illnesses not being diagnosed on time and an increase in drug overdoses and suicides.
- Due to school shutdowns, children are falling behind in math, reading and other subjects, and have lost access to important support services.
- The media’s fixation on case numbers ignores both the science and the progress made in fighting the virus.
- Of those under the age of 70 who become infected, over 99 percent recover from the disease.
- Deaths are down 80 percent and are at the lowest level since late March.
- The fewest number of counties are reporting more than 10 deaths per day since March of this year.
- Hospitalizations due to coronavirus are near their lowest level nationally, with less than 6 percent of beds currently occupied by coronavirus patients.
- COVID-like illnesses make up less than 3 percent of emergency room visits.
- More than 140 clinical trials for therapeutics are underway and effective therapies have already been developed and deployed, helping lower the fatality rate by over 85 percent since April.
- The Administration is working to make these therapies and vaccines widely available in record time and as affordable as possible.
- The Administration is working to develop, authorize, and deploy potentially life-saving antibody treatments while a vaccine is developed.
- There are 4 vaccines already in the final stage of trials thanks to President Trump’s historic efforts.
- Once a vaccine candidate is authorized, we are in a position to quickly deliver 100 million doses, with hundreds of millions of doses following shortly thereafter