March 8, 2023
Pocatello–Local daycare owner Kari Giesbrecht, in partnership with the Idaho First Steps Alliance, is coordinating a protest today to encourage the Idaho Legislature to extend COVID-era grants that assisted parents with child-care costs. The Facebook event notes read:
Wage enhancement grants have been successful in keeping doors open and ensuring safe options for children, on Monday, February 27th the Idaho Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee eliminated the remaining dollars to continue the program. As of today, child care wage grants and provider grants are ending as early as this month.
On Wednesday, March 8 join thousands of Idahoans demanding legislative action to extend relief grants through 2023 and plan for the future of child care in Idaho. Press conferences will begin at 10:00am MST/ 9:00am PST in:
- TREASURE VALLEY: Idaho State Capitol Steps (700 W Jefferson St., Boise, ID)
- POCATELLO: City Hall (911 N 7th Ave., Pocatello, ID)
- TWIN FALLS: City Park (400 Shoshone St. E, Twin Falls)
- NORTH IDAHO: Coeur d’Alene City Hall (710 E Mullan Ave, Coeur d’Alene)
- IDAHO FALLS: Bonneville County Court (605 N/ Capital Ave, Idaho Falls)
Participants are encouraged to wear purple. Please note that some daycares may be closed for the occasion.