September 5, 2023
Students in grades 7 through 12 are encouraged to enter the Fleet Reserve Association’s 2023-2024 Essay competition. This year’s theme is, “What Memorial Day Means to Me.”
The FRA website states, “FRA sponsors an annual essay contest to promote the spirit of Americanism and patriotism among our country’s youth. FRA’s Americanism Essay Contest is open to all students, grades 7 through 12, including those who are home schooled. Students are invited to submit a 350-word essay through an FRA member or local FRA branch before the December 1st deadline. Local winners are forwarded for competition at the regional level and regional winners compete for national prizes.
“The grand national winner receives $1,500. Other winners receive $1,000 for first place, $750 for second place, and $500 for third place. Each national winner will receive an attractive plaque citing his/her achievement, and every entrant judged at the national level receives a certificate of recognition. Prizes may be awarded to students winning at local and regional levels of competition.”
Idaho students writing essays should submit them to FRA Branch #382 Essay Chairman Roger Christopher at email@example.com or by mailing them to: Roger Christopher, 2472 N. Tangent Avenue, Meridian, ID 83646-7588, or mail to the address on the form, below. Mr. Christopher can be reached by phone at (208) 794-6637.
- All entrants shall be students in grades seven through twelve (or equivalent).
- Entrants must be sponsored by a branch of the Fleet Reserve Association or a unit of the Ladies Auxiliary, or by an FRA Member-at-Large.
- The essay shall be on the theme designated and shall not exceed 350 words.
- The essay shall be legibly written or typed on one page and one side of the paper.
- The essay theme title must appear on the essay as written.
- A student may submit only one entry each year.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a separate sheet stating: the entrant’s name; address; zip code; telephone number; school grade (or equivalent); name of school or the words “home schooled;” number of words in essay; and the sponsoring branch/unit or sponsor’s name.
- Entries submitted to branches shall be submitted to the Branch Americanism-Patriotism Committee and postmarked not later than December 1, for judging at the branch level.
- Entries sponsored by membership at large members shall be submitted to the national chairman and forwarded to an appropriate branch for judging in their respective grade group. All entries shall be postmarked not later than December 1.
- The Internal Revenue Service requires that any participant who receives $600 or more will be issued a Form 1099 identifying the proceeds as taxable. Winners must provide their social security numbers to the FRA upon request.
The Contest Entry Form is available on the FRA website, here.
For more information, click on the flyer below: