(Idaho Power News Briefs, October 10, 2023)
A new season has arrived, and cooler weather is right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to prepare your home for crisp fall weather.
Idaho Power offers several energy efficiency tips to get your home ready for fall:
- Replace or clean your air filters before the heating season begins. Clean filters improve efficiency and help your system last longer.
- Check for air leaks around outside doors and windows. If you can feel a draft, caulk, add weatherstripping or adjust hardware for better fit. This also helps keep insects and spiders from coming inside as the weather cools.
- Set the temperature of your water heater so the water at the tap is 120°F.
- Install LEDs in the most-used areas of your home to save energy and money as the days get shorter.
- Ensure you have adequate attic insulation. Idaho Power recommends a minimum insulation level of R-38 in Idaho.
If you’re looking for more ways to save energy, Idaho Power’s 2023 Fall Energy Efficiency Guide is available online. This year’s guide includes how to weatherize homes for winter comfort and maximum savings, ways to improve your indoor and outdoor lighting and information about tax credits and incentives for energy efficiency upgrades.
For more energy-saving tips, visit idahopower.com/save.