(Pocatello for Accountable Government Entities, October 10, 2023)
*Candidate Questionnaires were emailed to the nine (9) City Council candidates on 09/14/23 inviting participation. We will be posting responses received through 10/09/23 for Seats #1 and #2 beginning today, 10/09/23, and Seat #3 on 10/10/23. Subsequent submissions will be posted as received.
2023 POCATELLO CANDIDATE – COREY MANGUM – SEAT #3
1. What motivated you to run for office and how have you prepared for the position?
I currently serve on the Pocatello City Council and I’m seeking re-election. I want our community to be one that is safe, productive and thriving for all who live here and visit. I believe we have an obligation to leave things better than we found them. Our children are the future and we are the current leaders preparing the ground for those who should lead after we’re gone.
2. What specific experiences and/or qualifications make you the best candidate and why?
I currently serve on the Pocatello City Council. My involvement in Pocatello’s City Government as a current council member gives me the experience needed to fulfill the requirements of this seat.
3. What are the primary responsibilities of a City Council member and how will you fulfill each of them? (Please identify at least 2)
4. Are you satisfied with current City of Pocatello government? If yes, why? If no, why not, and what improvements do you propose?
5. What is your view of City spending and City property taxes?
6. What does “public transparency” mean to you, and what doesn’t it mean in terms of being a potential “public official?”
I believe “public transparency” holds government accountable. Therein budgets may be reviewed by community members, meetings are open to the general public and press, and community discussion such as “Town Hall meetings. Misinformation is easily disseminated but with the collaborative efforts between city officials and community members we can provide clearer information about the city workings.